FairVote, headquartered in Takoma Park near the metro, is a 501(c)3 / (c)4 nonprofit organization. Our mission is electoral reform that gives voters a greater choice, a stronger voice, and a more representative democracy. Since 1992, FairVote has been the national leader in developing and distributing the educational tools and analysis necessary to increase public appreciation of the value of ranked choice voting (RCV). We value nonpartisanship and wish to attract candidates who can work across the political and ideological spectrum to advance FairVote reforms.
FairVote is experiencing a surge of interest in its mission, with new resources that position us for significant growth and impact. We are doubling down on our effort to encourage the adoption of RCV in national elections while supporting movements and campaigns in states and cities. With new senior leadership and attention to building a healthy and robust organization with real potential to transform American democracy through RCV and the Fair Representation Act, we are looking for individuals to join our Government Affairs team to help support our legislative and campaign initiatives.
Senior Policy Advisor will work to advance FairVote’s policy, legislative advocacy, and coalition-building initiatives through legislative analysis, issue advocacy, and policy research and analysis. Specifically, this position will advise senior leadership on all federal and state legislative areas that impact FairVote’s advocacy goals; assist in the development of policy positions and legislative initiatives; and monitor federal and selective state legislative activity. The position is supervised by the Government Affairs Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Policy Advisor will contribute to FairVote’s core policy and legislative strategies and campaign activities.
● Advise the Government Affairs Director and other senior leadership members on all legislative areas of interest
● Assist in the development of policy positions and legislative initiatives
● Assist in the formulation of positions on legislative issues
● Monitor legislation and committee activities in Congress and select state engagement to identify opportunities to advance FairVote objectives or address legislative concerns
● Assist in the development of short and long-term legislative planning
● Oversee the progression of bills and resolutions from committee mark-ups to floor votes
● Prepare relevant briefing materials, congressional testimony, and legislative language (resolutions, bills, appropriations and authorizations)
● Work with consultants, interns and fellows to advance FairVote’s electoral reform goals
● Bachelor’s Degree and relevant graduate degree or JD preferred
● A minimum of 5 years experience working in policy advocacy or on Capitol Hill. Experience working in a federal agency may count for part of the requirement.
● 5-8 years senior-level experience engaging in issue, legislative or electoral campaign
● Experience or expertise relating to voting or election reform a plus
● Excellent written and analytical skills
● Good oral and communication skills
● Ability to work independently and have experience creating social change
● Demonstrated fluency in methods of qualitative analysis.
● Entrepreneurial spirit and desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment.
● Self-motivated, creative, organized, and deeply committed to personal and organizational excellence.
The successful candidate will be passionate about the mission of FairVote. S/he must be a strong leader with a track record of success and capacity to coordinate and provide thought leadership to varied efforts across a broad array of organizational departments and initiatives and maneuver effectively in an environment of notable change and organizational development.
The successful candidate will bring creativity, entrepreneurial energy, outstanding personal skills, emotional intelligence, a can-do attitude, and a strong commitment to FairVote's mission and values. S/he will have the ability to multi-task and be effective working virtually and onsite, independently, and as a team member, keeping both details and the big picture in mind.
S/he must have the ability to identify and set priorities while building and managing a wide variety of relationships and stakeholders. The candidate must be an intelligent, persuasive, hardworking advocate and ambassador for FairVote.
Location: Takoma Park, MD
Other Information and Compensation:
The work schedule includes some evening and weekend meetings and engagement opportunities, as necessary. Candidates requiring a 9 to 5 fixed schedule will not be a good fit for this position, even as we expect reasonable work hours overall. This is a full-time benefits-eligible position.
FairVote offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including fully-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, transportation benefits, and generous parental and personal leave policies. Salary is based on the position's requirements, candidate's qualifications, internal equity, and external competitiveness.
FairVote is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.