FairVote is experiencing a surge of interest in its mission, with new resources that position us for significant growth and impact. We are doubling down on our effort to encourage the adoption of RCV in national elections while supporting movements and campaigns in states and cities. With new senior leadership and attention to building a healthy and robust organization with real potential to transform American democracy through RCV and the Fair Representation Act, we are looking for individuals to join our Strategic Partnerships team to help support our legislative, campaign, and public education initiatives.
The Senior Policy Counsel advances FairVote’s legal, policy, and legislative initiatives through legal analysis and research, policy development, writing, and strategic partnership work. Specifically, this position will lead FairVote’s engagement with pro bono attorneys and partner organizations attorneys, oversee our engagement work with scholars about our reform goals, support strategic outreach to the civil rights and voting rights communities and develop policy positions, model legislation, and actionable legal guidance for FairVote and its partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Policy Counsel will contribute to FairVote core outreach, policy analysis, and communication activities and report directly to the Director of Partnerships.
- Represent FairVote at our national legal roundtable and ensure we leverage the impact of national groups, law schools clinics, academic thought leaders, and pro bono firms and attorneys.
- Work with FairVote’s policy and advocacy teams to develop national, state and local legislative and policy initiatives, assessing gaps and providing recommendation
- Support FairVote’s outreach efforts to Civil Rights and Voting Rights communities on forms of ranked choice voting, with a focus on proportional representation
- Oversee FairVote’s work advancing support and understanding of our reform goals among academic scholars and catalyze events and conversations on campus
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise policy analyst position and oversee contracts as assigned
- Track and analyze legislative proposals as assigned
- Be a resource for journalists, as assigned
- Write long-form articles and law reviews, as assigned
- Produce analysis and high-impact applied research in conjunction with the communications team on priority FairVote policies for use by policymakers, journalists, advocacy groups, and civic organizations
- Support FairVote staff and partners by serving as a resource for legal and policy-related questions and issues
- Maintain current working knowledge of general democracy and electoral reform issues, mainly related to the FairVote priority areas, especially relevant policy issues
- Utilize existing relationships and develop new relationships as needed to inform, coordinate, and execute FairVote strategies and campaigns
- Support of FairVote’s brand development
- JD is required; advanced degree in a relevant field (e.g., public policy) a plus
- Two to five years of relevant policy experience
- Experience building coalitions and advancing discussion through conversation
- Demonstrated interest in FairVote's core strategic priorities issue areas
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity with the legislative process
- Entrepreneurial spirit and desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment
- Self-motivated, creative, organized, and deeply committed to personal and organizational excellence
The successful candidate will be passionate about the mission of FairVote. S/he must be a strong leader with a track record of success and capacity to coordinate and provide thought leadership to varied efforts across a broad array of organizational departments and initiatives and maneuver effectively in an environment of notable change and organizational development.
The successful candidate will bring creativity, entrepreneurial energy, outstanding personal skills, emotional intelligence, a can-do attitude, and a strong commitment to FairVote's mission and values. S/he will have the ability to multitask and be effective working virtually and onsite, independently, and as a team member, keeping both details and the big picture in mind.
S/he must have the ability to identify and set priorities while building and managing a wide variety of relationships and stakeholders. The candidate must be an intelligent, persuasive, hardworking advocate and ambassador for FairVote.
The work schedule includes some evening and weekend meetings and engagement opportunities, as necessary. Candidates requiring a 9 to 5 fixed schedule will not be a good fit for this position, even as we expect reasonable work hours overall. This is a full-time benefits-eligible position.